Enhanced SpeedStep driver available

sebastian ssmoller sebastian.ssmoller at gmx.net
Mon Aug 16 23:12:08 PDT 2004

hi,
works fine here (asus m2400n). i played around a bit with est.ko and
estctrl and it looks really promising ... great work - thx

so there is no need to use hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state anylonger - at
least for Pentium M -  right?

regards,
seb

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 08:06:30 -0700
Colin Percival <colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>   Thanks to everyone who has been sending me data about their
> processors (and in particular, the 90nm versions), I now have
> a first draft of a Enhanced SpeedStep driver available.  For
> people with the appropriate processors (Pentium M only), this
> makes it possible to adjust the cpu frequency via a new sysctl
> (hw.est_curfreq), and have the cpu voltage adjusted at the
> same time.
>   I've also put together a very simple control daemon which
> reads kern.cp_time every second and adjusts the cpu frequency
> based on the fraction of cpu time which is idle.  This increases
> my laptop's battery life by around 40%.
>   All the code is online at
> http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-est/
>   Assuming I don't hear any major bug reports in the next few
> days, I'll package these into ports and hopefully get them into
> the ports tree in time for 5.3-RELEASE.
>
> Colin Percival

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away."
--- Antoine de St. Exupery, Wind, Sand, and Stars, 1939