Looking for Pentium M owners...

Arne Schwabe arne at rfc2549.org
Sun Aug 15 05:04:07 PDT 2004

Colin Percival <colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> I'm currently writing Enhanced SpeedStep code for FreeBSD, and Intel's
> lack of documentation is getting in the way.  I think I've managed to
> find the MSR with the data I need, but I need some people with Pentium
> M processors to run a quick test for me to verify this.  In particular,
> I really need results from the new 90nm Pentium M processors (these are
> the ones with model numbers -- "Pentium M 735", "Pentium M 745", etc).
>
> What I need people with Pentium M processors to do is this:
> 1. Download and extract http://www.daemonology.net/tmp/dumpmsr.tgz
> 2. `make`
> 3. `kldload ./dumpmsr.ko`
> 4. `kldunload dumpmsr`
>
> When you kldload, it should print three lines; please send me those,
> along with the output of `sysctl hw.model`, and (if you know) the
> model name/number under which Intel advertises your processor.

sudo kldload ./dumpmsr.ko
Password:
high speed = 1600 MHz, 1484 mv
low speed = 600 MHz, 956 mv

hw.model: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz (598.06-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x695  Stepping = 5
  Features=0xa7e9f9bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,TM,PBE>

hope that helps.

Arne