ath card problem

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Thu Aug 5 11:35:01 PDT 2004

On Thursday 05 August 2004 11:22 am, kalin mintchev wrote:
> ok. for the last almost 3 weeks i've been trying to get the ath0 driver to
> work properly with the dlink dwl-ag650 card i got for my t20 thinkpad with
> 5.2.1.
> it kinda works sometimes. that sometimes is driving me nuts. i understand
> that there is the possibility that i'm really retarded and not being able
> to make a simple piece of hardware work properly on this laptop. usually
> that's not the case but for some reason this piece of hardware has been
> very stubborn. i have to say that unfortunately it works with no problem
> on a windows laptop with the windows driver.
>
> all that being said can somebody explain the outputs below.
> ifconfig says it's associated but appears that it's not really. that
> happens a lot. i tried 2 different access points. did reset the routers
> about a dozen times. i'm back at the point where i'm about the rip this
> card off the machine and trow it against the wall and then burn it until
> it converts to a fluid...

The dwl-ag650 card has a chip in it that requires a more up to date hal to
operate well.  Otherwise you should not get errors reseting the part but
since the FreeBSD code is so ancient (probably a year behind the current
state of Atheros support) it's likely that one of a zillion changes have
dealt with the issue.

I have asked for help in updating the Atheros code but gotten few responses
(none of which have produced something committable).  I am in the process of
releasing yet another new hal and may have a few days to try and update the
FreeBSD code to include it.  Otherwise you can always use the ndis support to
run the windows driver.

	Sam