DLink DWL-G650 (h/w ver. B4)

kalin mintchev kalin at el.net
Mon Aug 2 10:44:27 PDT 2004

i got mine working finally (kinda) - it's a dwl-ag650 but the chip is
probably the same. check this postings. there is a script there that it
might be helpful to you.
http://www.freebsdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23880

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply, and sorry for the delay - long weekend.  If I put
> the
> card in before bootup, it will give the first set of errors that I listed
> during boot, then will give the "bfe0 timeout" errors after it has
> finished
> the boot scripts.  So, that method doesn't work either.
>
> I haven't tried disabling my ethernet device.. though that's a good idea.
> How exactly do you do that?  I tried "kldunload bfe", where bfe is my nic
> device, however that doesn't work, since bfe is built into the kernel.  I
> tried syncing my sources and upgrading the kernel again, but something is
> broken in the sources, and the kernel doesn't compile even a GENERIC
> kernel.
>   So, is there a way to unload a *part* of the kernel module -- namely
> bfe?
>
> Thanks for the help, it would be great if I could get this working.  And
> it
> should work.... since it uses the ar5211.sys driver on the windows side,
> which means Atheros....
>
> regards,
> Mike
>

>>From: Geffy <geffy at geffychan.co.uk>
>>To: Michael Roberts <tpen0010 at hotmail.com>
>>Subject: Re: DLink DWL-G650 (h/w ver. B4)
>>Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 02:25:04 +0100
>>
>>Michael Roberts wrote:
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>I got DLink DWL-G650 (h/w ver. B4) pc-card recently, which is supposed
>>>run 802.11g using the atheros drivers.  However, I've been trying to get
>>>it to work for the past three days w/o success.  Other people on this
>>> list
>>>claim to have gotten it working, so any help would be much appreciated.
>>
>>I have it working on mine, but mine is version B3 Firmware 2.36
>>

>>>My setup is:  -current (from early July) on a Dell 8600, running a
>>>Broadcom ethernet interface on bfe0, and a kernel recompiled with
>>> "device
>>>ath" and "device ath_hal".
>>>
>>>When I put the Dlink card in, i get the following:
>>>
>>>cardbus0:  Resource not specified in CIS: id=10, size=2000
>>>bfe1: < Broadcom ... > irq 11 at device 0.0 on cardbus0
>>>bfe1: BUG! Timeout waiting for bit 00000002 of register 42C to clear
>>>bfe1: MII without any PHY!
>>>device_attach: bfe1 attach returned 6
>>>cbb0: Cardbus activation failed.
>>
>>What happens if you have the card in during bootup? That seems to be the
>>only way I can get it to work properly in mine. It also doesnt like my
>> LAN
>>card operating, so I usually have to take that down prior to setting any
>> IP
>>address or anything on the ath0 card.
>>

>>>Then a few seconds later I get something like
>>>
>>>bfe0: BUG! Timeout waiting for bit 00000002 of register 42C
>>>
>>>about 6 times, and then the computer freezes.  The above line is not the
> [...]

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)