Intel PRO/100 CardBus II

Gunnarsson, Mikael Mikael.Gunnarsson at octapharma.se
Fri Apr 30 05:05:18 PDT 2004

> I don't really know anything about laptops at all, how would
> I tell if I
> have room for a TypeIII card? I was thinking about getting a
> wireless card
> aswell, it might be kinda handy to have them both plugged in
> at the same
> time if I can. I am guessing I won't be able to do that anyway though?

If your laptop has two pccard slots on top of eachother, you can fit a TypeIII card. A TypeIII card takes up both slots though.

Xircom 'solved' the problem with the Realport2 cards, since it will take both slots in height, but only a half slot in width, so you can fit another Realport2 card, flipped upside-down, as well. Of course, you then limit yourself to only using another realport2 in the second slot. I'm not sure if there is a wlan realport2 card though. There is a bluetooth card, but I haven't seen a wlan one.

The advantage of the realport cards are of course that you get a real RJ45 connector built into the card, so you don't have to use a fragile dongle or xjack..

Mikael