suspend/resume on T22 running 5.2.1

Dave Tweten tweten at nas.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 26 18:47:29 PDT 2004

Initially quoting me, snow at teardrop.org said:
>>Start by creating a hibernation partition on your ThinkPad.  See

>> 	http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4PESMK.html

>Is this needed even if hw.acpi.s4bios=0?

>I distinctly remember reading somewhere that laptop hibernation required
>some kind of Windows partition in order to work, but I was unclear what
>relationship that had to the value of hw.acpi.s4bios.

This partition (oops, slice) is known only to the BIOS.  The way
hibernation works under STABLE is that the BIOS tells FreeBSD to go to
sleep, and then the BIOS copies a memory image to the slice it recognizes
as being good for hibernation data and turns the power off.

Later, when the BIOS is in control during power-up, it recognizes
hibernation status and copies the hibernation slice into memory before
transferring control to it.

I suppose FreeBSD 5 could duplicate the BIOS's hibernation support.
Windows 2000 did that.  Seems wasteful, but then so does Win2k.  I can't
tell you for sure, having set up hibernation for my T23 on STABLE and not
on version 5.
--
M/S 258-5                    |1024-bit PGP fingerprint:|tweten at nas.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center    | 41 B0 89 0A  8F 94 6C 59|     (650) 604-4416