Toshiba Tecra 8000, Lucent Modem, FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE, and ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Apr 21 19:00:49 PDT 2004

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Ian F. Brunell wrote:

> I recently installed FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE on a Toshiba Tecra 8000. I have
> been trying to make the built in Lucent modem work. I downloaded
> ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz and installed it as root using:
>
> pkg_add -v ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz
>
> I ran the ltmdm shell script and nothing appeared to happen.

It should at least echo "ltmdm" to the shell.  If it's working, you'll
also see a dmesg-style recognition line.

> I then added the following to the file /boot/loader.conf:
>
> ltmdm_load="YES"

This should not be necessary.

> I have searched the freebsd-mobile list and found references to a
> /usr/local/etc/ltmdm/ltmdm.conf file, which does not exist on my system.
> There was also a reference to some patches which may make a previous
> version (ltmdm-1.4_3.tgz) work with this machine.

I spent some time in September 2002 corresponding with WATANABE Kiyoshi
<aab10490 at pop16.odn.ne.jp> (email address included because it's already
been publicly posted on the ports page).  The Tecra 8000 has the modem
set up as an ISA device, and he modified the code and helped me
configure it until it worked.

The bad news is that I don't think those changes have been integrated
into the port; certainly the port doesn't appear to work on my Tecra
8000, which is now running 5.2.1.