Toshiba Tecra 8000, Lucent Modem, FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE, and ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz

Sean Welch Sean_Welch at alum.wofford.org
Wed Apr 21 15:53:28 PDT 2004

Hello, Ian.  I use the ltmdm software quite a bit and have since
just before it appeared in the ports tree.

Speaking of which,

> pkg_add -v ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz

is there some reason you didn't install it via port?  Adding a load
statement to /boot/loader.conf shouldn't be necessary because it
will put a startup script under /usr/local/etc/rc.d to get the
device configured at boot.

I notice you are using:

> set device /dev/cual1

Shouldn't that be /dev/cual0 instead??  That is what it has always
been for me.  If you aren't sure this should get the correct device
for you:

ls /dev/cual*

For me that outputs:

/dev/cual0      /dev/cuala0     /dev/cuall0

Also, check your dmesg statent like this for the device:

demsg | grep ltmdm

You should see something like:

ltmdm0: <Lucent Winmodem> port 0xe800-0xe8ff,0xecb8-0xecbf mem
0xf8ffec00-0xf8ffecff irq 10 at device 8.0 on pci8
ltmdm0: type Virtual 16550A

This software has worked for me under every revision of FreeBSD I've
tried to use it under.  I'm currently running 4.9-RELEASE and
5.2.1-RELEASE using the modem with no issues.

Good luck!

Sean