Toshiba Tecra 8000, Lucent Modem, FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE, and ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz

Ian F. Brunell ian.brunell at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Apr 21 12:56:39 PDT 2004

Hello,

I recently installed FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE on a Toshiba Tecra 8000. I have
been trying to make the built in Lucent modem work. I downloaded
ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz and installed it as root using:

pkg_add -v ltmdm-1.4_5.tgz

I ran the ltmdm shell script and nothing appeared to happen. I then
added the following to the file /boot/loader.conf:

ltmdm_load="YES"

and I changed my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf file as follows:

set device /dev/cual1
set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
\"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK AT+GCI=00 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

The ltmdm kernal module is loaded when the computer is booted up. When I
run ppp and type the term command I recieve the following message:

Warning: deflink: /dev/cual1: Bad file descriptor
Failed to open /dev/cual1

I have searched the freebsd-mobile list and found references to a
/usr/local/etc/ltmdm/ltmdm.conf file, which does not exist on my system.
There was also a reference to some patches which may make a previous
version (ltmdm-1.4_3.tgz) work with this machine.

Any help in making this modem work with my system would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Ian.-