Hams Report 85-mile 802.11b File Transfers @ Oregon

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Apr 15 08:04:24 PDT 2004

In message: <04041413050408.02105 at sandino.dnsalias.org>
            Scott Weikart <scott at igc.org> writes:
: I would assume the hams used directional antennas on both ends, and
: carefully pointed the antennas at each other.
:
: So, this may have little relevance to monitoring people's
: mostly-omnidirectional wireless LANs.  Well, maybe you could so some
: math to make the ham's numbers scale, but I would guess there are
: more direct methods to measure/compute risk.

Well, if I put a 30dBm dish on my end, then you still have a problem.

I had a 24dBm dish that I played around with from the water tower near
my house.  I saw like 300 different networks...  Not all of them well,
but if I really wanted to eaves drop on any of them, I could do so...
Some of them were confirmed to be a few couple miles away.

Warner