Symbol Technologies LA4111 Spectrum24 Wireless LAN

Schizik schizik at mail.ru
Wed Apr 7 15:14:53 PDT 2004

Hello, everyone!

Here I got Intel Pro/Wireless 2011 AP  (802.11b)
Today after reinstalling it to another room it fails booting.
If I connect serial console cable to it I can see that it boots
to system menu (even can select menu entries) and then
reboots itself after 1-2 seconds

(some kind of hardware watchdog may be)

I did removed PCMCIA radio card from the AP and installed it
into my laptop, it also fails with following diagnostics:

---- cut here ----------------------------------------------------------------
wi0: <Symbol Technologies LA4111 Spectrum24 Wireless LAN PC Card>
at port 0x100-0x147 irq 11 function 0 config 1 on pccard1
wi0: 802.11 address: 00:a0:f8:92:91:fa
wi0: using RF:PRISM2 MAC:HFA3841
wi0: Symbol Firmware: Primary (2.1.2), Station (2.10.0)
wi0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc00/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc81/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc0c/0
wi0: timeout in wi_seek to fc02/0
[snip]
wi0: timeout in wi_cmd 0x000a; event status 0x8000
wi0: failed to allocate 1585 bytes on NIC
wi0: tx buffer allocation failed (error 12)
wi0: interface not running
---- cut here ----------------------------------------------------------------

Does that mean that card is somehow fried?

I also tried inserting Lucent Orinoco card from my laptop to
AP's pcmcia slot. With this card AP will boot OK and won't
reboot itself as with original card. But I assume orinoco lacks
stuff needed for AP operation (AP radio won't work with it)

Any ideas??

p.s. Also tried resetting AP by shorting pins 2 and 3 of console port,
AP will not restart itself while pins short (but won't work too), but when
removing short and resetting AP everything repeats and I also can
see that it did not actually reset nvram values, except for auth mode
and channel set. (AP host name, IP, etc left untouched).

Cheers,
       ALex.