Trackpad with USB mouse, at same time

Hans Lambermont hans at lambermont.dyndns.org
Mon Apr 5 12:31:15 PDT 2004

Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I've recently installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 on an IBM ThinkPad T41p.  I have
> disabled the touchpad in the BIOS, and the trackpoint works fine, all
> three buttons of it.
>
> My problem is that I cannot seem to use both the trackpoint and a USB
> mouse at the same time. For the trackpoint, I have to set "Device" to
> /dev/psm0 in the "mouse" section of my XF86Config file; if I use
> /dev/sysmouse, it will not recognize the trackpoint, which as far as I
> can tell, it should.

I have a T30, the touchpad is enabled in the BIOS, the touchpad and
trackpoint work with /dev/sysmouse. The third button does not work. When
I plug in a USB mouse I get a second moused that also works with
/dev/sysmouse, so I can use 3 pointing devices at the same time, in text
mode and in X.

relevant /etc/rc.conf parts:
    usbd_enable="YES"
    moused_enable="YES"
    moused_flags="-3"

relevant /etc/X11/XF86Config parts:
    Section "InputDevice"
            Identifier "Mouse0"
            Driver     "mouse"
            Option     "Protocol"        "auto"
            Option     "Device"          "/dev/sysmouse"
            Option     "ZAxisMapping"    "4 5"
            Option     "Buttons"         "5"
    EndSection

> However, /dev/sysmouse does pick up a USB mouse. The upshot is that I
> can't use both the trackpoint and an external mouse without changing
> the config file and restarting X.

Right, I think the only solution is to fix moused to recognize the 3th
button on the touchpad, the 3th button on the usb mouse works fine.

Hans
--
http://lambermont.webhop.org/ () ASCII-ribbon campaign against vCards,
                              /\ HTML-mail and proprietary formats.