Trackpad with USB mouse, at same time

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Sun Apr 4 20:54:43 PDT 2004

(This is somewhat updated from earlier questions on -questions,
so I apologize for the duplication.)

I've recently installed FreeBSD 5.2.1 on an IBM ThinkPad T41p.
I have disabled the touchpad in the BIOS, and the trackpoint
works fine, all three buttons of it.

My problem is that I cannot seem to use both the trackpoint
and a USB mouse at the same time. For the trackpoint, I have
to set "Device" to /dev/psm0 in the "mouse" section of my
XF86Config file; if I use /dev/sysmouse, it will not recognize
the trackpoint, which as far as I can tell, it should.
However, /dev/sysmouse does pick up a USB mouse. The upshot is
that I can't use both the trackpoint and an external mouse
without changing the config file and restarting X.

The moused(8) docs discuss running a separate moused process
for the two devices, but I can't get this to work, and wouldn't
know how to automate it if I could. Also, on another ThinkPad
running 4.9, I have no problem using the trackpad and a USB
mouse at the same time (in that case, "Device" is set to
/dev/mouse, which is however a symlink to /dev/sysmouse).

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Jesse Sheidlower