Dell Latitude D800 Onboard Ethernet woes

Mike Hunter mhunter at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Sep 21 22:50:15 PDT 2003

On Sep 18, "To freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org" wrote:

FYI (and for the mailing list archives) I found it necessary to upgrade to
5.1-CURRENT.  Support for the card was introduced, but the latest versions
of the files involved used a different api for an important bus call, so
it was easier just to upgrade all my sources.  As of yesterday's kernel,
everything works great.

Sorry, by the English.

Mike

> Greetings freebsd-mobile,
>
> I have a dell latitude D800 that I have FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE installed on
> (cvsup'd and compiled Sep 12 12:30 PDT).  I found it necessary to rebuild
> because I had forgotten to enable "device pcm" for sound in my kernel
> config.
>
> Unfortunately, my onboard ethernet device (bge0) went away after the
> upgrade.  I tried disabling sound and recompiling, but it still didn't
> work.  Interestingly, when I installed from the 5.1-release ISO, the NIC
> didn't work either...cvsuping some time before September 11 (sorry I don't
> have more precise dates) got me sources that got the interface working.
> Windows xp identifies it as a "broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated
> Controller" on pci bus 2, device 0, function 0, irq 11.
>
> I did a cp -R from /boot to /boot.good before I enabled the sound device,
> so I have a kernel on the system that will work with the nic, if that's
> any help for debugging.  Booting the old kernel with -v, I can see it
> attaching the driver to the device....
>
> Please let me know if any other information would be helpful.  Feel free
> to ignore the ACPI problems, that's another email :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike Hunter

[snip]