4.x or 5.x for newbie install on laptop?

Timothy Luoma freebsd at tntluoma.com
Sun Sep 21 04:57:18 PDT 2003

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:23:17 -0400, Peter Radcliffe <pir at pir.net> wrote:

>> 	- Windows formatted iPod (connects via Firewire PCCard).  I
>> assume there is no way to use this under FreeBSD anyway, so I'll
>> have to dual-boot to XP to use the iPod
>
> My windows formatted iPod works just fine under FreeBSD with built in
> firewire, PCI firewire or USB.

Can you add/edit songs on the iPod or does it just appear as a mass
storage device?

> I don't know about the firewire pccard.

I understand that it probably would only work in 5.x-current and not in 4.x

>> 	- External hard drive which also connects via Firewire (which
>> I use for backups, but mostly there are just the mp3s from my iPod)
>
> Should work.

It too connects via the pccard

>> 	So... thoughts?  I plan to download an ISO tomorrow.
>
> IMO if you are not interested in hacking on the OS in some way then
> 5.x isn't ready for primetime yet. Depends what you want to do and if
> you want to have to migrate later when it is ready.

Well it just seems to make a bit more sense to work from 4.8-RELEASE and
get that setup and working.  I'm relatively sure that there must be a way
to migrate from 4.x to 5.x without having to start from scratch... but
either way I'll take good notes on what I do to get it working just in
case.

I have the disc-01 ISO downloaded (~1hr 40min, not bad... ~6mb/min?) and
will start the disc-02 ISO as soon as I'm done.  Then I just have to
migrate the Windows stuff from D:\ to C:\

TjL

--
<del>Toying with the idea of putting</del> Planning to install FreeBSD
<ins>4.8-RELEASE</ins> on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop