IBM TP 600E - Xircom Cardbus

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Sun Sep 21 02:39:35 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 02:17:14PM +1000, Jason Friedland wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm after a few pointers for installing FreeBSD 5.1 on a TP 600E. I have
> installed it on this machine previously but couldn't get my Xircom
> CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + 56K Modem card working so threw the towel in.
>
> I have Slackware 9 on it right now and it works flawlessly after a bit
> of tweaking (well, all the devices such as the Xircom, sound, DVD work)
> but really want to get 5.1 going.
>
> After googling around for FreeBSD on a 600E I found an article
> (focussing on 4.7) which suggested I recompile the kernel in order to
> get the Xircom working. I did this, rebooted and still no ethernet.
>
> I know this is a bit vague but if anyone has some tips on how to get
> this card going I'd be most grateful.
>
> Jason Friedland
> (FreeBSD noob)

As Doug says in his reply, CardBus is only supported on FreeBSD 5.x, so
you're definitely SOL getting this card to work on 4.7.

Could you switch back to the 5.1 GENERIC kernel and post the contents of
your /etc/rc.conf, /var/log/dmesg.boot and any messages that show up on the
console when you insert the card?

AFAIK this card is supported, but there may well be some kernel or other
config tweaking required to get the 600E to recognise it.  Any other 600E
owners with working pccard slots out there know the right magic words?

	Scott