Dell i7500 or Toshiba 1005-S157?

Timothy Luoma freebsd at tntluoma.com
Sat Sep 20 17:41:07 PDT 2003

We have two laptops.  Currently both have WinXP on them, and I'm trying to
decide which I'll put FreeBSD on.

One is a Dell Inspiron 7500 and the other is a Toshiba 1005-S157.  I know
that folks have gotten FreeBSD to work on the Dell, but I have not found
much about FreeBSD and the Toshiba 1005-S157.

The Dell has been my regular laptop, and I really like it.  The Toshiba is
my wife's and she's no longer using it.  I don't like it as much.

I've installed FreeBSD a few times but never enough to actually use it.  I
figure the best way to do it is to take one of the machines and dedicate
it to FreeBSD, and I can use the other one for my daily stuff until I have
it working well enough for me to use it as my daily machine.

Make sense?

So the question is, which should I switch to FreeBSD?

They both have 256mb ram.

The Toshiba runs 1024x768, the Dell 1400x1050

The Dell has 30gb hard drive (C:\ is 12gb and D:\ is 16gb), the Toshiba
has a 15gb

The Toshiba is a Celeron 1.06ghz, the Dell is a 650Mhz

I'm thinking about just taking over the Toshiba as my daily machine, and
putting FreeBSD on D:\ on the Dell and start using that to learn/setup
FreeBSD.  That way if I hose the Dell I can still get my daily work done.

But then I'm thinking that I can devote the entire Toshiba to FreeBSD, and
it has the faster processor.  I assume I'll be running WINE for a few
Windows apps, and when I need to update/compile faster = better, right?

So I thought I'd ask you folks for your thoughts.

TjL