What do you think of the new 3COM cards with X-Jack ?

Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Mon Sep 15 14:45:13 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 06:12:14PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> I think you may be a little confused as to the scope of the change.  A
> while ago, the xl driver preferred to use the I/O ports.  Now it (and
> only it) prefers to use mmio.  The xe driver hasn't changed much in a
> long time, and still only uses I/O ports as best as I can recollect.
> The default changed when mux changed the xl driver.

xe always has been and always will be PIO only... some of the hardware
it supports has a 'virtual' MMIO mode, but the performance gain from
using this vs. the amount of effort required to support it (given that
these cards are all old and slow anyway) means I'm not personally going
to do anything with it.

As Warner mentioned, I've been working on some updates to the driver
recently, currently sitting in PR 50644.  All the cards I have now work
for me on 5.1 (must try a more recent -current soon...)  However, the
laptop I'm doing this on is an ancient OLDCARD-only Thinkpad 380D, so I
have no idea how well (if at all) it works with NEWCARD.  If anyone
wants to test it, that would be great :-)

	Scott