best known methods for dual boot with XP with functional hibernate?

John Reynolds johnjen at reynoldsnet.org
Fri Oct 10 19:34:44 PDT 2003

hello all,

Are there best known methods for dual booting FreeBSD (5.1-current) on a laptop
with WinXP pro while retaining hibernate functionality?

I just got a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop and amazingly suspend and hibernate
functions work! (whereas they horribly did not with Win98 on my CPxJ). I
believe that the hibernate function uses a special partition to dump RAM to,
correct?

I'd like to nuke this current setup and go with a dual boot configuration, but
I want to be able to have XP utilize whatever it needs to to hibernate
correctly (and maybe even FreeBSD too if ACPI works).

What are some things that people have done to accomplish this? What are some
things to stay clear of?

Thanks,

-Jr

--
John & Jennifer Reynolds  johnjen at reynoldsnet.org        www.reynoldsnet.org
Structural / Physical Design - ICG/PNG SCD     jreynold at sedona.ch.intel.com
Running FreeBSD since 2.1.5-RELEASE.               FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!
"Unix is user friendly, it's just particular about the friends it chooses."