5.1/Current, Samsung X05 XTC1400

Michael Lestinsky michael.lestinsky at mpi-hd.mpg.de
Wed Oct 15 19:29:39 PDT 2003

Hi,

a short time ago I bought the Notebook named in the subject line and
installed FreeBSD 5.1 on it. To give the interested audience some feedback
on the state of this setup I've summarized the installation steps at:

  http://www.lestinsky.de/michael/samsung-x05.php

A dmesg and a pciconf -vl may be found there, too:

  http://www.lestinsky.de/michael/dmesg
  http://www.lestinsky.de/michael/pciconf-vl

There are some issues still, which need further improvement:

 * As mentioned on my webpage, the touchpad produces garbage for the
   first few seconds of usage. After some time the moused resets the
   mouse and everything works fine until the next reboot.

 * The Soundcard (ich) isn't working properly. I've done some more testing
   and can say so much up to now:
   - Playback of ordinary audio cds via cdcontrol works.
   - playing any kind of music via /dev/pcm kills the kernel after a
     few seconds. Before it dies, it plays audio data only while moving
     the mouse. Interrupt problem?

 * Funny thing is, the fwe-device appears only when the snd_ich-module
   is loaded. Not that I care about Firewire, I've got no such devices,
   anyway. But it's an observation probably worth noting.

 * ACPI-state S3 works nearly. The display isn't enabled after resume,
   but switching the virtual console helps. Only the touchpad stays dead.

Bye,
Michael