Setting Up Dual Head Video

Benedikt Stockebrand me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
Wed Oct 8 15:14:03 PDT 2003

Hi Rod,

Rod Person <rodperson at comcast.net> writes:

> I have a IBM ThinkPad R40 with an ATI mobilty Radeon.
> I have an 17" Compaq V700 monitor external monitor. What I would like to do is
> set up XFree86 with a resolution of 1280x1024 on the external monitor and
> 1024x768 on the laptops LCD screen. Presently, if I boot with the montor on
> and connected the laptop will get a virtual resolution of 1280x1024.

I am not quite sure I understand what you want.  If the external
monitor runs at 1280x1024 then what is the LCD to display if it can
only do 1024x768?

If you want them to display different parts of your desktop take a
look at xinerama.  They do advise against screen layouts that aren't
rectangular, though.

Cheers,

    Ben

--
Dipl. Inform.                  Tel.:  +49 (0) 6151 - 971 823
Benedikt Stockebrand	       Mobil: +49 (0) 177 - 41 73 985
Am Karlshof 1a		       Mail:  me at benedikt-stockebrand.de
D-64287 Darmstadt	       WWW:   http://www.benedikt-stockebrand.de