Dell D800 External Monitor Xfree86

Mike Hunter mhunter at ack.Berkeley.EDU
Sun Oct 5 22:19:50 PDT 2003

On Oct 05, "David Gilbert" wrote:

> Martin> Hi, have you tried the nvidia driver out of the ports
> Martin> collection?  Take a look there: /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver
>
> I also have a Dell D800 as well.  I have the 1920x1200 screen (I
> gather from the former output that Mike has the 1600x1200 screen).

My internal monitor is 1920x1200...I think I was trying to drive an
external monitor at 1600...my success so far was at 1280x1024, although I
haven't tried any other resolutions.

> When i switch to the external monitor, the laptop seems to lock up
> ... but I chalked that up to the fact that the docs say that 1900x1200
> is only supported on the internal display.  I don't know what level
> it's locking up at, though.

I assume you tried CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to escape X...?  I haven't messed
with it too much, but when I tried to go *back* to my internal monitor it
displayed black-ish garbage...i.e. using the nvidia binary driver you
can't go back to the internal once you go to the external.

> It also seems that Linux is doing a lot better at suspending Dell
> machines.  I've spent some time learning how to read ACPI code, but I
> havn't found anything damming in the DSDT yet ... leading me to
> believe that our ACPI code itself must be the problem.

Good luck!  Feel free to send me patches to try.  We should start a
freebsd Dell D800 support group.

Mike