pppd + winmodem on Del i7500

Josh Malone jmalone at tovaris.com
Wed Oct 1 08:11:04 PDT 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003, Andy Sparrow wrote:

> > I've added the ltmdm driver (Lucent Winmodem) and made the corrections
> > necessary so that it is loaded from /modules and not just in rc.d (as was
> > recommended to me by someone who is familiar with running FBSD on this
> > computer).
>
> OK, whatever. I don't have any need to do that on 4.x. Is this so you
> can run 'pppd' at startup? On a laptop?

This was my suggestion - the makes the kld load before the kernel.  The
ltmdm port seems to load the kld from /usr/local/etc/rc.d after the kernel
has booted and this caused problems on the Dell i7500 - the modem wasn't
detected properly.

> > So I edited MYKERNEL and removed the 'disable' for 'sio2' and I changed it
> > to be irq 9
> >
> > I did the MYKERNEL stuff and make depend/make/make install/reboot.
> >
> > When I checked dmesg it said:

Just having sio2 there should do - you shouldn't need to define irqs, etc.
This would only be necessary for a non PnP ISA serial port I believe.

> I have the following in my kernel conf, note I don't specify anything
> (e.g. irqs or orts) for potentially dynamically-attached serial devices:
>
> 	# Serial (COM) ports
> 	device      sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
> 	device      sio1
> 	device      sio2
>
> I seem to recall that this is the way it is so I can use the built-in
> serial, built-in (Win)Modem and a "real" serial-based PC-CARD all at the
> same time if I feel like it without re-configuring.

This should work for you, Tim.

			-Josh

-------- In God we trust...everything else we use X.509 ---------
Joshua Malone,  Systems Administrator    Phone: 434-245-5300 x119
      Tovaris IP, LC                       Fax: 434-245-5301
      www.tovaris.com                     jmalone at tovaris.com