ALERT!!!!!! Someone on this mailing list is infected with a virus!!!!

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sun Nov 30 17:08:32 PST 2003

On Sunday 30 November 2003 06:49 pm, Jason Goddard wrote:
> I am wishing to alert everyone that someone on this mailing list
>
> is running a Windows system infected with the Virus I-WORM.SWEN
>
> who ever you are please get your system cleaned before you
>
> continue infecting other less fortunates.
>
> your virus only infects windows systems...so I am not affected by it...
>
> and there is no reason to be embarassed either...
>
> just check out your system at Trend Micro´s Housecall site for free...
>
> this was just a heads up to anyone using Windows to veiw this list...
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Jason Goddard

Jason,

	The sad fact of the matter is simply this - a large percentage of the user
base (not this list of course) really could care less if they are infected.

	From time to time I frequent an IRC newbie help channel on an IRC network to
lend help. You would not believe the amount of users that either don't know,
or could care less if they are backdoored, infected, hacked - you name it.

	Most of the time these same users are the ones that come running and
complaining that they lost a channel password, nick password, or even files
from their PC.

	I will agree, Trend is a good place for newbies to go get the PC scanned, and
even a nice package to buy and install. But you will continue to get this if
users just don't care enough to protect themselves.

	If they can't do that - what makes you think they are going to heed your
words and help protect yours.

	In the end, it's up to us to protect ourselves. The lists offer some
protection, but they just can't do it all.

</SoapBox>

--

Best regards,
                 Chris

PGP Fingerprint = D976 2575 D0B4 E4B0 45CC AA09 0F93 FF80 C01B C363

PGP Mail encouraged / preferred - keys available on common key servers