CPU running full steam under KDE

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Mon Nov 24 07:12:33 PST 2003

> I'm wondering why the CPU fan is always on when running KDE desktop
> on my Dell Inspiron (acpi hacks enabled) - sure KDE is a CPU intensive
> application but it is annoying somehow. Can it be influenced?

Check your top... you will probably find a kdeinit process eating CPU
constantly (5-15% or so depending on CPU speed). This is due to it polling
your .kde directory for configuration changes.

I understand there is a patch for a kqueue based implementation that doesn't
exhibit this problem, but was never commited. Not sure what the status is.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org