Dell Latitude C600

Kirill Bezzubets kirill at solaris.ru
Thu Nov 20 12:10:16 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 01:43:18PM -0600, Tommy Heaney wrote:
> First off, hello everyone, this is my first post to the list.  I am
> relatively new to *nix, have made a few installations but haven't gotten
> much further then the basics.
>
> My question is concerning a FreeBSD 5.0 RC2 (need to update) installation on
> my Dell Latitude C600.  I am wondering what kind of configurations I need to
> make in order to be able to put the laptop to sleep.

Actually, I've never tried it on C600 but on C500 it worked well,
the same as for CP/CPi...

first of all, download this:
http://www.kirill.spb.ru/DSDT.aml

If that won't help try to find better DSDT at
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/index.php

and put it into /boot, then add following to /boot/loader.conf

acpi_dsdt_load="YES"            # DSDT Overriding
acpi_dsdt_type="acpi_dsdt"      # Don't change this
acpi_dsdt_name="/boot/DSDT.aml"

Of course, you should load "acpi.ko" at startup.

> In Windows, I could
> press the power button and the machine would sleep.

Power button? Not sleep button?

>  Another problem has
> been when I close the display and open it back up, the machine appears to
> still be on but the screen never comes back.

Try the latest BIOS update available from Dell. It's their bug since they
implemented ACPI: BIOS tries to initialise external monitor even there's
none of. Try pressing <Fn>+<F8> (CRT/LCD) and everything should be OK.
Better way is yet to upgrade your BIOS to latest available.

>  My next question is, what kind
> of power management utilities are available?

In console you can use "apm -l"
(ACPI provides some backward compatibility with APM)

> I use Fluxbox window manager
> (and sometimes KDE).  I'd like to be able to see how much battery power is
> left.  Hopefully someone with the same configuration (C600) can give me some
> help.

I prefer Enlightenment, so I can't say for sure, but most utilities
using APM interface should work.

--
BR,
Kirill Bezzubets                                CASE-RIPE CASE-RIPN
CTO / Head Of N.O.C.                            mailto:kirill at solaris.ru
Solaris ISP & Telecommunications Co. Ltd        http://www.solaris.ru