BSD support?

Sten Daniel Sørsdal sten.daniel.sorsdal at wan.no
Thu Nov 20 07:25:55 PST 2003

> Hi all,
>
> I am patiently saving money to purchase a laptop, hopefully
> by the end of this year. I would like to know if there are
> any laptop manufacturers that specificially support BSD, and
> by supporting they choose specific default hardware
> configurations that will give the least problems on BSD.
>
> I did a BSD-Google search for laptop and notebook, and
> noticed that Dell came up more than any other company. I have
> been contemplating getting the Dell Inspiron 5150.
>
> Does anyone have any comments on this model, or can anyone
> recommend a more BSD friendly laptop?
>
> Cheers,
> Tim

Personally i own a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M (1ghz celery) and i run 5-CURRENT.

The only problems i've had with it is that it requires ACPI to boot
(some weird non existing flash blocks the kernel in endless timeout loop).

The only things i've had troubles with is;
ACPI (lidclosing and standby breaks - everything else seems to work).
Havent had the chance to fix the modem drivers (not recognized, i only got mobile phone).

Everything else works very well and i cant complain about the performance.

I recommend Fujitsu-Siemens, they have yet to disappoint me. (all my coworkers are also happy).

// Sten