BSD support?

Tobias Roth roth at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Nov 18 03:13:46 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:23:01AM +0000, Chris Howells wrote:
> Personally I can _strongly_ recommend that you do _not_ buy Dell. I ended up
> taking them to court over a laptop which didn't work from the start, which
> they refused to to anything about when they heard it was running Linux...
> even though it was quite clearly a hardware problem.

well, your fault. i also had problems with a dell which were clearly
hardware problems. i bought a 4150 in high summer and it would not
complete a single buildworld. i called dell two or three times, never
said anything about FreeBSD, just that it didn't work and that it was
a hardware problem. i also told them i switched the drive to a different
laptop and everything worked there, so it HAD to be a hardware problem
specific to that machine. they believed it and took back the machine. i
got a full refund, even postal fees. the only caveat was that i had to
wait two months and call them a few times until i got my money back.

my 4100 however, which has a Pentium III, not IV as the 4150, is still
running perfectly.

so my advice, buy one of those Centrino Pentium M models, they should
not get as hot as a standard mobile PIV. dell is nice, and offers a lot
for the price. i personally favour IBM but only because I get huge
discounts, which brings them down right into the dell pricerange. i would
not pay full price for them.
and the other advice, get as much guarantee as you can. that's important
for every brand, especially dell.

greets, t.