flash firware upgrade for PRISM/INTERSIL from FreeBSD?

John L.Utz III john at utzweb.net
Tue Nov 18 01:53:08 PST 2003

Hi;

My netgear MA311 card used to work pretty well in 4.8, but 4.9-RELEASE and the
immediately previous snapshots dont/didnt work so well with my card;
specifically a wake from sleep fails to relight the card properly, and it wont
work again ( wi timeout.. ) without a reboot.

so, given that my firware is pretty old (station 1.0.6 or thereabouts), it
seems reasonable to upgrade to the latest version.

important question is how?

i blew away my win98 portion on my last FreeBSD upgrade because i realized
that the only time i ever booted win98 was the last time that i installed it
:-). thus, the traditional boot to windows and run the upgrade that way is
right out. well, at least a significant pain in the rear...

so i notice that linux has some tools to do this, but they appear to be kernel
aware:

http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/....

 Linux-based prism2_srec flashing steps

    Jouni Malinen made a few bug fixes and improvement to prism2_srec around Aug 2/3, 2003. Now prism2_srec can flash both primary firmware and station firmware.

       1. Download hostap package from CVS or a release that is dated after Aug 3, 2003.
       2. Enable PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT and PRISM2_NON_VOLATILE_DOWNLOAD in driver/modules/hostap_config.h. You simply just uncomment those two define's.
       3. Compile the driver and install them to the kernel using your favorite method.

do we have anything like that in our neighborhood? does this work on our stuff?