Thinkpad T40 experience

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Sat Nov 15 13:45:13 PST 2003

> this week my new Thinkpad T40 arrived and I thought I let you know how it
> works with FreeBSD.

I've been running FreeBSD on a T40p, which is almost the same, for a while. I
have run into some issues that it seems you don't have. Would you mind
sending me a copy of your kernel configuration?

> As I said, the machine boots fine.  I had to put
> hw.pci.allow_unsupported_io_range="1" into /boot/device.hints to detect
> the Cardbus devices correctly.

I had no trouble getting it to detect the cardbus controller, though I was
never able to boot with a device inserted (I had to wait and hotswap them
during operation). Also, having cardbus support enabled seemed to break
random things all over, including X crashing upon startup.

I will try and see if the above fix has any effect on that.

> Suprisingly, ACPI also works fine, even S3 suspend does what it should do.

Even S1-S2? On my system, only S3-S5 is supported.

> (The fan kicks in quite often - more than I'd like it to, and battery life
> is shorter than in Windows - I get about three hours in BSD, and up to
> four and more in Windows.)

I too can get more out of the batteries on Windows then in FreeBSD.

> hardware acceleration or you won't survive a resume.  Also, USB seems to
> be broken after a suspend/resume cycle, but apart from that, it's ok.

USB dies on my system too, but a resume also has the effect that the system is
behaving like it's under tremedous load. Typing characters at the console
feels like I'm ssh:ing over a variable-speed modem :) This makes
suspend/resume unusable. Did you have to do anything in order for
suspend/resume to work completely?

Thanks :)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org