Problems with a Toshiba 503 Satellite

Alejandro 'lanjoe9' Valenzuela lanjoe9 at prodigy.net.mx
Thu Nov 13 21:12:31 PST 2003

I've got a few problems with my Toshiba s5205 503 (PIV
Satellite) laptop and FreeBSD (currently I'm using
4.9-Release).

The one I'd like most to solve is sound.
My computer is supposed to have an ICH3 compatible sound
card (Yamaha AC-XG, according to windoz), but when I try
kldloading the sound driver or loading the kernel with the
pcm driver compiled in it, the system freezes with the next
messages:
-----
fwohci0: <Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A> at device 7.0 on
pci2
fwohci0: Invalid irq 255
fwohci0: Please switch PNP-OS to 'No' in BIOS
fwohci0: Could not map memory
device_probe_and_attach: fwohci0 attach returned 6
fwohci0: <Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A> at device 7.0 on
pci2
fwohci0: Invalid irq 255
fwohci0: Please switch PNP-OS to 'No' in BIOS
fwohci0: Could not map memory
device_probe_and_attach: fwohci0 attach returned 6
fwohci0: <Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A> at device 7.0 on
pci2
fwohci0: Invalid irq 255
fwohci0: Please switch PNP-OS to 'No' in BIOS
fwohci0: Could not map memory
device_probe_and_attach: fwohci0 attach returned 6
pcm0: <Intel ICH3 (8201CA)> at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: Unable to map IO port space
device_probe_and_attach: pcm0 attach returned 6
------

I've got a friend who has an older Toshiba laptop with
(apparently) the same sound card, but no firewire, and it
works perfectly there.
Could it be perhaps the firewire port is getting in the way?
I tried compiling without firewire support but the kernel
would panic then.
I don't know how to access the BIOS settings; the
documentation provided by Toshiba doesn't say how to (bad
Toshiba bad! I'll write to them right away).
What else can I try?
My sound card didn't work in linux either, and I haven't
tested the OSS drivers yet.

I've got another problem with FreeBSD 5.0 and 5.1: the
computer gets frozen before sysinstall runs. The last line
it says is something about agp0 (can't remember exactly what
it was, but everything seemed to run properly, although a
bit slower than 4.8 and 4.9). I haven't been able to install
it.

One last question: how do I "rescan" the USB ports so the
computer can detect when I plug in a generic mouse after
FreeBSD has started? If I connect or disconnect it after
FreeBSD has started, the computer simply ignores it (it
doesn't even supply power, the mouse's light does not turn
on) and it ignores the touchpad as well.

Other than that, the system runs very nicely in 4.9-Release,
the NVidia driver works perfectly (the 3d screen savers run
very smoothly), and a key repeating issue in X is easily
solved with the Gnome accessibility features (slow keys set
to 20 milliseconds - if someone's interested).

Thanks a lot,
Alejandro.