thinkpad R40 freebsd preperation questions...

Peter Radcliffe pir at pir.net
Thu Nov 6 12:43:42 PST 2003

Dave Tweten <tweten at nas.nasa.gov> probably said:
> 5. Install Windows from the recovery CD.  It will respect the
>    limits of its partition and won't insist upon putting the
>    fixed sectors outside.

Not true for the XP recovery CDs I have for my X30. It installed
windows, yes, but didn't finish the install - barfed half way through
and never installed many of the required drivers.

The only way I found to do a clean and full reinstall from the CDs was
to delete every partition on the disk and then reinstall from CD.

My procedure for getting XP and FreeBSD happy and dual booting on my
X30 is in the archives somewhere, Message-ID:
<20030105090529.GJ17859 at pir.net>

Unfortunately the only thing I found which can resize an NTFS
partition (the XP install for my X30 automatically converts the
partition to NTFS) is Partition Magic 8.

> >Has anyone had success with getting their reinstall CDs with out extra
> >charge from IBM?
> Me!  Me!

Me too. I called up the day my X30 arrived and said it appeared to
have arrived without recovery CDs and I wanted some. They arrived,
free, a couple of days later.

P.

--
pir