thinkpad R40 freebsd preperation questions...

Rod Person rodperson at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 04:32:44 PST 2003

On Thursday 06 November 2003 06:54 am, It was written:
> > I have an R40. I used partition magic to resize the partition, by far the
> > easiest way to resize a partition.
>
> But, just for completeness, fdisk shouldn't have any problem deleting
> the partitions and creating new ones for a reinstall of XP, and a new
> install of FreeBSD? I think this is obvious, but I want to be sure the
> hidden tracks and slices won't complicate things :)

If your going to do it that way, fdisk should be fine, I thought you were
going to resize the XP partition that comes installed.

> >>Does this partition have to be FAT32 or can I use NTFS?
> >
> > It's been sometime since I've done this about 8 month or something, but I
> > believe that I told partition magic that the new partition would be used
> > for linux, IMO it doesn't matter if it fat32, dos or ext2 since freebsd
> > will reformat the partition anyway.
>
> Ah, I thought I read it at that the partition for XP would be formatted
> as FAT32, is our WinXP installed on a NTFS slice or other?

Sorry again, I thought you were referring to the bsd partition. My XP
partitions are NTFS, I think you can use fat32 I think there is a preformance
hit, but I'm really not up on windows file systems and preformance :)

have fun.

--
Rod

@ Home So No Cool Signature