ideal laptop recommendations?

Jesse D. Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Thu May 29 08:23:37 PDT 2003

Cliff L. Biffle wrote:

> On Monday 05 May 2003 04:34 pm, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> I have a friend who has the 1600x1200 and I an assure you that it's not
>> too much. Fonts look much cleaner and it is amazingly readable, even to
>> my 50 year old eyes, with rather small fonts. I don't envy the weight,
>> but I LOVE the display.
>
> I'd like to point out something here that a lot of people, particularly
> those with Windows backgrounds, don't realize.
>
> Higher resolution in X doesn't have to mean smaller fonts.  By properly
> setting you DPI in your X configuration (many monitors report their size
> automagically, saving you the trouble) a 12pt font is a 12pt font
> regardless of resolution.
>
> Now, granted, graphics and whatnot are still going to be smaller on a
> high-res display, as are some bitmapped fonts, but for the most part,
> higher resolution just means greater clarity.

I've had my IBM A30p with a 1600x1200 display for a few weeks now. I
definately love the high resolution. X is very readable. I use my WXP
fonts (Courier New usually and Andale Mono for code) at 14 or 16pt and
I can read emails from a few feet away.

I would highly recommend 1600x1200 resolutions on a 15" LCD.