psm0 and acpi

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Tue May 27 08:29:39 PDT 2003

As I reported on -current a few days back, my laptop doesn't recognize
psm0 (it fails to show up in dmesg) if acpi is enabled.  If acpi is
disabled, psm0 shows up, but the boot process doesn't complete -- it
hangs while mounting the disks.  This is with 5.1-BETA2.

I don't think this is because of broken ACPI implementation because
Linux works fine on that machine, with or without acpi -- acpi isn't
totally functional, standby/suspend don't work but battery, AC status,
lid etc work fine.  I understand the linux people use the same ACPI code
as FreeBSD, from Intel.

I'll send dmesg etc if it's helpful, but it looks like many people have
had this problem with FreeBSD since at least 2001 and there's also a PR
or two (eg, i386/49116), I tried some of the suggestions I heard
(fiddling with /boot/device.hints in various ways), but it's no use so
far.  Any ideas?  Otherwise I'm forced to stick with linux, which I
guess isn't so bad, but I've grown used to freebsd over the last 3-4
years.  (The laptop has no APM bios, and at least I get *some* ACPI
support with linux, so I think won't bother with FreeBSD 4.)

Thanks

Rahul