freebsd 5.1 beta 2 on ibm thinkpad x24

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon May 26 16:17:11 PDT 2003

> Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 22:06:15 -0600 (MDT)
> From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> In message: <20030526024004.GC97639 at athomson.prv.au.itouchnet.net>
>             Andrew Thomson <ajthomson at optushome.com.au> writes:
> : How's everyone going with 5.1 on their laptops???
>
> Mine is working great!

Likewise!

> : Anyone else running 5.1b2 on their laptops with good times??
>
> I'm doing just fine, but my laptops tend to just work and the quirks
> of others don't tend to show up :-(

My T30 is now doing much better. I have found a couple of CURRENT issues
that I will be sending to the current list shortly, but I can say that
options DISABLE_PSE in the kernel configuration is a recipe for weird
failures. Lots of panics. No APM. In general, life was bad. I also
removed "options DISABLE_PG_G, but I am not sure that this is
required. (More kernel builds coming!)

In any case, the rumor that DISABLE_PSE and DISABLE_PG_G are safe
options in wrong. They clearly SHOULD be safe, but...

I will attach the kernel configuration from my T30 on the chance that it
might suggest something to Andrew. I think it should pretty much be OK
for a T23. Note: make sure that APM is enabled and ACPI disabled in
/boot/device.hints and that APM_ENABLE="1" is in rc.conf! (Maybe some
day ACPI will work well enough that I can switch, but I still can't
suspend with ACPI.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)