PCMCIA NIC and Inet connection

Nucking Futs nuckingfutsto at hotmail.com
Fri May 23 16:02:07 PDT 2003

   I have installed FBSD 4.8 on my Dell notebook Inspiron 1100. The internal
NIC is not recognized at all (best as I can tell) so I am trying to use a
PCMCIA Linksys model PCM100 PC card. The card is on the supported hardware
list found here
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.8R/hardware-i386.html#ETHERNET As you
might has guessed I'm writing because I cant get the card to function
correctly. During a normal install of FBSD on a workstation with a PCI NIC
the DHCP scan finds the Road Runner connection from my router automatically
and I'm set up with internet connectivity, end of story.

  The PCMCIA card was not recognized during install so after reading an
archive I added pccard_enable="YES" to /etc/rc.conf.  This made the card to
be recognized during boot up with a "Beep." I then went  back into the post
install configuration via /stand/sysinstall and attempted to configure
additional network interfaces and when doing so the choice "ed1 <3C503
compatible PCMCIA>" showed up.  I let it automatically configure DHCP and it
found my connection and  I had internet connectivity!  After a reboot I had
no internet connectivity again.  In order to get connectivity again I had to
go to /etc/rc.conf and delete the line ifconfig_ed1="DHCP" and
hostname="hostname" and go through the automatic configuration which i
described above.  Again if I reboot I lose inet connectivity.  What do I
need to add or do differently to make this work?  Thanks in advance for any
assistance.