FBSD48 on IBM R40+WLAN CISCO Mini PCI Adapter = np?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri May 23 14:06:51 PDT 2003

> From: lars <lars at gmx.at>
> Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 22:30:07 +0200
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning on buying an IBM TP R40.
>
> 1	Will FreeBSD 4.8 be able to drive
> 	USB2
Probably not. USB2 is a work in progress and is not in STABLE or CURRENT
at this time.

> 	IRDA
I have heard that it works, but have not confirmed this.
> 	Sound (AC97)
Works fine. (If it's an ICHn chip, which is the normal case).
> 	RADEON 7000
Radeon 7000 is generally well supported.
> 2	CISCO Aironet WLAN
Supported. I assume it is the standard Mini-PCI card. If so, it will
work very well. IBM has been noted for it's excellent antenna.

> According to
> http://lists.bawug.org/pipermail/wireless/2001-September/002548.html
> WLAN works.
>
> I'm not sure yet whether I should get the integrated WLAN Mini PCI card
> or buy an Orinico PC-Card instead.

The internal card is "just there", supported out of the box, and likely
has better reception than the Orinoco .

I have used a number of ThinkPads, but never an R40, so this assumes
commonality with other units.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)