XKEYBOARD remapping of ctrl+alt+keypad-plus

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri May 23 10:01:59 PDT 2003

> From: "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse at wingnet.net>
> Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 12:10:43 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Does anyone know how to remap these keystrokes to something
> else under XFree? The Xfree86 man page says that XKEYBOARD
> stuff is completely customizable, but I can't find any docs
> explaining exactly how to customize it.
>
> I basically want to be able to change screen resolutions
> inside X.

Yes, The keymapping present by default totally breaks this and there is
no NumLock key in the keymap. It is mapped to keycode 77, which seems
reasonable, but keycode 77 is only available on the IBM when SHIFT is
pressed. But SHIFT with keycode 77 is Pointer_EnableKeys! Can you say
"Catch-22"?
keycode 77 = Num_Lock Pointer_EnableKeys
(The first mapping is the plain key and the second is the SHIFTed key)

You can decide how you want to fix it. I map the shift code to also be
NumLock.

xmodmap -e "keycode 77 = Num_Lock Num_Lock"

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)