dual boot WXP + FreeBSD

Jesse D. Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed May 21 06:28:49 PDT 2003

"Darryl Okahata" <darrylo at soco.agilent.com> wrote in message
news:200305210001.RAA21706 at mina.soco.agilent.com...
> "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
>
> > I've tried loading the fixit media and executing the following:
> >
> > mount /dev/ad0s1 /mnt
> >
> > But I get superblock errors. The darn thing won't mount.
>
> 1. Ummm, isn't slice 1 the WinXP partition?

Yes. Slice 2 is FreeBSD and Slice 3 is the IBM recovery partition. I can't
remember if they're numbered from 1 or 0 though. If they start at 0 then
WinXP would be slice 0, FreeBSD would be slice 1, and the recovery partition
would be slice 2.

I was under the impression that /dev/ad0s1 was a FreeBSD slice. Perhaps I
need to revisit FreeBSD's partition numbering scheme.

I'll check this out and get back to you.

> 2. /boot/boot1 is pretty generic (IIRC).  You should be able to use the
>    one from the recovery CDROM, assuming that the recovery CDROM is for
>    the same version of FreeBSD that you installed.

Really? OK. I'll give that a try.