USB wireless network adapters

Jilles Tjoelker jilles+fbsd-mobile at stack.nl
Sat May 17 07:07:09 PDT 2003

Hello,

I have a laptop (Fujitsu-Siemens C6175) dual-booting Windows 98SE and
FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE and I would like to do wireless networking (802.11b)
with it.

The first thing I tried was a cardbus pccard from Sitecom, which uses
the Prism2.5 chipset and should be supported by the wi(4) driver.
However, I'm having trouble with pccard - FreeBSD says my pcic is
"16-bit", and the card works under neither OS.

Another possibility is a USB adapter from Sitecom. It works under Linux
(Mandrake 9.1) with the prism2_usb module on another machine (it has to
be removed and reinserted after the driver is loaded, though) and under
Windows 98SE on the laptop.

I have read about a uwi driver that supported Prism2 USB devices, but I
could not find it. Does anyone have a pointer?

(If it only works under -CURRENT, I will have to wait some time. I don't
have the disk space to install both 4.x and 5.x and I want to have a
"known good" version available for some time.

--
Jilles Tjoelker