IEEE 1394 support

john at utzweb.net john at utzweb.net
Sat May 17 02:37:47 PDT 2003

Hi All;

The existence of firwire support in FreeBSD is a really important and
fascinating bit of information of which i was heretofore unaware!

Is jessie's assertion correct here?

ie, if it sez 'firewire' on it, it 'Just Works'(tm), be it cardbus,
pcmcia, pci or isa?( dont think there are any isa firewire cards out there
- tho if there are pcmcia cards, then i suppose it could be possible)

furthermore, is firewire a sufficient abstraction that hooking up my scsi
jaz drive via a scsi/firewire adapter would also 'Just Work'? i just saw
on the web a scsi firwire adapter that is sbp2 compliant, is that
compatible with device sbp?

next question is a bit hard to ask tersely, but i'll try...
does firewire avoid the goofyness that usb, usb2.0 has where the plug is
the same, but the chips' bus interface is apparantly not the same? ie usb
is supported in FreeBSD and usb2 is not. is there older, slower, firewire
things and newer, faster, firewire things and they all work? (did that
make sense?)

tnx!

johnu