5.1-BETA on a Dell Latitude C800

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Fri May 16 12:49:02 PDT 2003

Hi,

after a few months of neglecting my laptop, a Dell Latitude C800, I decided
to do a reinstall, using 5.1-BETA. It seems to work fine, except for a few
ACPI related problems.

First of all, I get a lot of

    ACPI-0293: *** Warning: Buffer created with zero length in AML
        -0166: *** Error: UtAllocate: Attempt to allocate zero bytes

on the console. This ends in

acpi_cmbat0: battery initialization failed, giving up
acpi_cmbat1: battery initialization failed, giving up

I don't know if one has something to do with the other, but sysctl hw.acpi
does indeed show a battery.life of -1, and a continuous battery.state of
7, even without AC power.

Furthermore, I thought ACPI had an APM 'emulation' interface? The apm
command after boot says 'APM disabled'. I can enable it by doing
'apm -e', but I would think it should be enabled by default. Can someone
enlighten me as to the relation between ACPI and APM? (I don't have device
apm in my kernel, and have apm.0.disabled="1" in /boot/device.hints).

Similarly, 'zzz' doesn't work. Should I use acpiconf -s instead? If so,
which state? The few states I've tried all ended up in a blank screen,
and no keypresses etc could recover the laptop. I do not have X running
yet, so no console switches needed.

Does anyone else have battery & suspend working on a Latitude C800?

Next up is setting up X, and trying to get an external modem to work -- the
internal modem is a 3com 3c556 mini-pci, which is a winmodem.

--Stijn

--
"...I like logs. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I've been known to keep
logs for 30 months at a time (generally when I thought I was rotating them