wi question

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Fri May 9 01:03:42 PDT 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> In message: <Maios.1052402007.61508910.84266846593006672>
>             Alej Lekatsas <alej at agriroot.aua.gr> writes:
> : Is the a way to control the transmit output power on wi card ?
>
> Yes.  However, it isn't in the tree because I don't want to enable
> people's breaking the law.  However, there's some power level code in

Actually Warner, that usually works the -other- direction. I.e. you want
to be able to reduce the output when you are using a good directional
antenna.  Part of this is to comply with the 100mWatt EIRP regulation of
ISM. But more so to not over saturate a receiver at the other end or make
aggregation points possible. We regularly at www.wirelessleiden.net are
forced to swap a Senao card for a WMP11 just so that we reduce the power
on a link.  So right now; given that almost all cards output (a lot) less
than 100mWatt and that one or two connectors will easily half that - and
given that most people us directional antenna's - the legal argument would
argue for certanly the ability to -lower- the output of cards. Not worry
about people setting it higher.

Dw