ideal laptop recommendations?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue May 6 09:58:25 PDT 2003

> From: "Jesse D. Guardiani" <jesse at wingnet.net>
> Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 11:57:38 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>

> -------------------------------
> IBM A31p ThinkPad for $2,811.60
> -------------------------------
> 15.0" UXGA screen (1600x1200)
> Pentium 4 M 2Ghz (512kb L2 cache)
> 512Mb DDR SDRAM
> 40 Gb HD
> CD-RW/DVD-R
> Integrated Wi-Fi wireless and Bluetooth combo
> 3 yr onsite repair warranty
> 64 Mb ATI Mobility FireGL 7800 7.1-7.7
>
> And I think Kevin Oberman already said that the ATI Mobility
> FireGL card isn't supported. This laptop is too much $$$ for
> me anyway. If I wanted to spend $3000 I would buy a Mac.

No. My FireGL works fine, but does not like to turn on in
high-resolution mode.(Easy but annoying work-around available.) But I
have a T30, not an A31p, and I can't be sure about the A31p.

According to IBM sales types (yes, their lips were moving), DVD burners
will be available late this month or early in June.

But it's still a very pricey box. I simply am addicted to the keyboards
and the TrackPoint. I can get the TrackPoints on Dell and others, but
the keyboard is an IBM only thing. I don't think a laptop is "ideal"
without that IBM keyboard. (But nobody else might agree with my
opinion.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)