Centrino and FreeBSD

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Mar 27 10:43:58 PST 2003

> Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:56:35 +0100
> From: Ducrot Bruno <ducrot at poupinou.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:31:58PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> > In message: <3E73A4E7.8030403 at student.gc.maricopa.edu>
> >             James Mabry <jamabryl at student.gc.maricopa.edu> writes:
> > : I am going to start shopping around for a new notebook and was wondering
> > : if centrino will be supported in FreeBSD? Thanks.
> >
> > Only if somebody sends me a centrino laptop :-)
> >
> > Unless intel's much hailed technology is just a cheap rebranding of
> > prism cards, I doubt it.
>
> IMO if those laptops are shipped with P-M with new speedstep technology
> (MSR based instead of IO horror) then it would be interresting
> to look at.

They do use Pentium-M with the new speedstep capability.

Also, the wireless is an claimed to be an Intel PRO/Wireless mini-PCI
card which is the same one used in my T30. It's a Prism 2.5.

I'll be curious about the support of the Pentium-M. I suspect the
wireless will just work.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)