Wich laptop to get?

Anders Nordby anders at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 25 02:33:02 PDT 2003

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 11:54:32PM +0200, Erik Paulsen Skaalerud wrote:
> I know, this probably has been asked a million times before, but I thought I
> should ask this because of the acpi, or, well, the troubles with laptops and
> FreeBSD 5.1..
>
> What is a great laptop to buy these days? I'm kind of poor, so I cant get a
> expensive one. I need a laptop with:
> - a good GFX card (yes, I do play games on windows, I'll dual-boot)
> - space for lots of memory (1GB)
> - hopefully something faster than a 4200rpm disk. I'm considering getting a
> laptop with USB2 interface and a external disk, and just use it via USB1 in
> FreeBSD (since it doesnt like USB2 much, yet atleast.)
>
> Any recommendations would be truly helpful.

I'm in love with my IBM T30 laptop. With the right configuration, you
get 1400x1050 resolution (ATI Radeon 7500), a very very very good
keyboard, built-in&working Ethernet + wireless NIC, etc. I had to turn
off ACPI (and on APM), but otherwise it's the best laptop I've ever had
(I've previously tried a Compaq, a Dell, an Acer, A Powerbook etc.).
Sound and DVD works well too.

It probably can't compete with Acer etc. when it comes to price, but
it's what I'd recommend anyone wanting to run FreeBSD. I run
5.1-RELEASE.

Cheers,

--
Anders.