Dell Inspiron 8200 & ACPI-0293 [was Re: Dell 4150 & ACPI-0293: *** Warning: Buffer created with zero length in AML]

Vincent Poy vince at oahu.WURLDLINK.NET
Tue Jun 24 19:55:12 PDT 2003

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, Stijn Hoop wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 11:51:21PM +0200, Thierry Thomas wrote:
> > Thanks, but it does not apply cleanly on mine:
>
> Could you try the instructions at
>
> http://sandcat.nl/~stijn/freebsd/dell.php
>
> Two other people have reported success for an Inspiron 8200, so it should
> work.
>
> HTH,
>
> --Stijn

	I tried the thing listed in the page and I could say that here is
the behavior with the patch...

With hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S1
the machine suspends but the LCD doesn't turn off and when you resume, the
LCD doesn't update and is stuck with the info before the suspend until you
reboot.

With hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=NONE, without your patch, the system
suspends and has the same symptoms above.  With your patch, the system
turns the LCD off when the lid is shut which is the first time I saw it
happen on this machine but when you open the lid, the screen doesn't come
back on until Fn+F8 is pressed.

	So just for the record, I'm on a Inspiron 8200 with the A10 BIOS.

	Also, are most of you guys using the BIOS to control the fans or
are you using the following utility?

http://www.geocities.com/fanonbsd/

Cheers,
Vince - vince at WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1 at IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin