Thinkpad R40 Followup ACPI/APM/AGP under 5.1

Michael Collette metrol at metrol.net
Fri Jun 20 16:17:29 PDT 2003

I went and jumped in with both feet into 5.1-CURRENT here with this Thinkpad
R40 in the hopes that I could get the power management working.  Some
interesting, if not mixed results.

ACPI is evil, and must be turned very very off on this thing.  I guess I need
to figure out how to make that the default login at some point.  Not all that
concerned about that just yet.

With ACPI all turned off, APM seems to be working quite nicely.  Well, from
the console anyway.  Many thanks to Darryl Okahata's extremely helpful post
to this list last week.  I can now put this box to sleep as well as wake it
back up again.  I looks like 5.1 takes a little extra time to go to sleep,
which is just fine by me.  Sync them disk writes!

Ahh, then there's trying to do the suspend thing from within X.  It goes to
sleep just fine.  It even wakes up mostly okay.  What it doesn't do is tell
the video card to start displaying the GUI again.  This is true even with
applying Tobias Roth's suggested changes to rc.suspend and rc.resume.

To bring X back I need to force a switch to any console with Ctrl-Alt-Fx then
put the screen in standby with Fn-F3 followed by a tap on Fn to wake it up
from standby.  Alt-F9 returns me back to an unharmed X display.

Are there any other suggestions for telling that darn video card to wake the
heck up without having to toggle around in a circle like this?

The other oddity here is that "device agp" really does not get along with this
ATI Radeon 7500.  Having it on causes X to core dump upon starting.  Pulling
it out of the kernel corrects the problem.  Not a big deal as X seems to work
very nicely otherwise.  I only mention it out of curiosity.  I was also kind
of interested in the radeondrm kernel option.

All in all things at least feel like they're moving in the right direction for
me with 5.1.  I never even came close to getting 4.8 to not totally crash
upon going into suspend mode.  The agp thing didn't work in 4.8 either.

BTW, is there any value in crossposting write ups like this to the CURRENT
mailing list?

Later on,
--
"Always listen to experts.  They'll tell you what can't be done, and why.
Then do it."