acks, and RTS/CTS in IBSS mode?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Jun 20 08:02:00 PDT 2003

Has anyone been able to determine if various cards send
acknowledgements for unicast frames in IBSS mode?

As I understand 802.11, in a BSS (infrastructure mode with an AP),
unicast packets to STAs from APs, and perhaps all packets from STAs to
APs, get acknowledged, and are retransmitted at the link layer.

With 'adhoc demo mode' (-p 3), I am pretty sure there are no acks of
any kind, and no beacons.

With IBSS mode, I believe that unicast packets should have acks and
retransmission, but I have never determined whether this is actually
the case.  I have long been suspicious of firmware for IBSS mode since
it isn't the typical case.

Further, one should be able to configure a lower RTS/CTS threshold in
order to perform RTS/CTS processing, which should help avoid the
hidden terminal problem.  Has anyone verified that this works?  If so,
with which cards?

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt at ir.bbn.com>